Friday, June 3, 2011

SAVOR Round 1

This is what I like to refer to as a "Calagione-Koch" sandwich. Yes, it's as delicious as it sounds.
I jumped into this Salon during it's second half and listened to the history behind 'SAVOR Flowers', the collaboration beer (Dogfish Head and Boston Beer Company) brewed especially for this event. I have not yet tasted the beer, but if it tastes even half as yummy as Sam looks, then we have a winner.
After checking in ticket-holders for about an hour or two, I was free to sample the beer and food for the rest of the evening. I am a "Northern Exposure" addict and made a beeline for Alasakan Brewing Co. to sample the Smoked Porter, which lived up to all expectations. I also adored the Oatmeal Raisin Cookie from Cigar City, which served as beverage, dinner, and dessert all in one, it was that rich and delicious.
Some of my fellow BURP members were pouring at Coronado, so I downed a couple samples of the Red Devil and Idiot IPA before heading over to Firestone Walker for the bourboun-y Parabola (amazing).
In between the above, I stopped to try the Maryland DOG Brewing Company Wild Cherry Porter, which was fantastic. The sweetness of the tart cherries in the aroma led one to believe that the beer would finish overly sweet, but the addition of brett dried out the finish.
Laurelwood Brewing Co. was easily one of the highlights of the evening. The head brewer, Chad Kennedy, was extremely friendly and informative. The Workhorse IPA was phenomenal. The "A" it receives on Beer Advocate is well merited. This beer was dry hopped with 4 different varities (if I remember correctly!), and the aroma stole the show with its Centennial, Columbus, Amarillo, and Simcoe hops.
Did I visit more tables? Why, yes I did. I quickly stopped by Boston Beer Company to try the Samuel Adams New World Tripel (which was paired with banana bread by the way, which is probably my favorite food). The evening was finished with Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout, Bohemian Brewery's Cherny Bock (huge pour!), Boulevard Brewing Co. Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale & The Sixth Glass, Caldera IPA and Mogli, Diamond Bear Two Term IPA, Two Brothers Brewing Company Cane and Abel & Domaine DuPage.  I sauntered over to the Yards table to taste the Thomas Jefferson Ale and for some strange reason I acted as if it was the first time.   And as if I haven't had enough Double Jack in my lifetime, I stopped by Firestone Walker a couple times to remind myself how freaking amazing that beer really is.
PS: This was one half of the room, tomorrow I will visit the other. ;)

4 comments:

  1. oatmeal raisin cookie beer?? Where can I buy that??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alexis: Unfortunately you can't get it in VA (Yet). It's from Cigar City Brewing in Tampa Bay, FL. We talked to the reps and said hopefully they will start coming to VA within the next couple years. The oatmeal raisin cookie beer was awesome, you would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget, Terri, Teri & Teri!! https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/QBcYUbF4pR8qWGeMwFclfg?feat=directlink

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teri, Thanks SO Much for sending the link. Where did you find the SAVOR pictures? I can't find them.
    I posted our picture in a new blog post. :)

    ReplyDelete