Sunday, June 5, 2011

SAVOR: Round 2

Thirsty for more?
Yesterday evening was the second and final night of SAVOR. I checked people in for the first hour again, then headed over to the tasting tables. I started with Cigar City Humidor IPA and Oakshire Line Dry Rye & Overcast Espresso Stout. Then I went to the second half of the room that I didn't get to Friday evening and the debauchery commenced. Justin, our friend/neighbor/fellow BURP member Terri, and I had set a goal earlier that evening to taste every beer at Table Group 14. Here's what was there:
Willimantic Brewing Co.
-Downtown Willi India Dark Ale
-Victorian Neighbor Ale
Funkwerks, Inc.
-Funkwerks White (they were out of their second beer, a saison)
Devils Backbone Brewing Company (Local beer!)
-Azreal
-Vienna Lager
Captain Lawrence
-Golden Delicious
-Smoked Porter
The Captain Lawrence beers (from Pleasantville, NY) were some of my favorite of the weekend. The Smoked Porter, in my opinion gave Alaskan Brewing Company's a run for its money.
I spent a lot of time at Laurelwood again, not only because their Workhorse IPA was perhaps my favorite beer of the weekend, but also because the head brewer Chad, is so friendly and has such a great sense of humor. (Justin better look out) ;) Here is a picture of Chad and I:
And here is a picture of me wearing Chad's stylish eyewear:

I also ran into my friends Lee and Peggy and we tasted some Yazoo (Sue (an Imperial Porter) & Rye Saison).

Justin, Lee, Peggy, Teri, and monks
After trying some Big Boss Brewing Monkey Bizz-Ness & High Roller, and Buckbean Brewing Company Original Orange Blossom Ale & Tule Duck Red Ale, I made it a point to get over to Evolution to try the Rise Up Stout & Migration, Spring 2011. Both were outstanding. The stout had a deliciously intense espresso aroma and taste.
At some point Terri and I lost Justin, but we ran into Yancy, who is also in our homebrew club (and by the way he makes incredible meads). He looked incredibly strapping in his kilt. Yes, I peeked underneath to see if he had any underwear on. (He did). Here is our photo, "Yancy with the Terri's".
Luckily I made it over to Odell Brewing just as they were pouring their last bottle of Friek, which is a sour ale with cherries and raspberries. I absolutely loved it. I also enjoyed their Woodcut no. 5 from their oak aged series.
I wanted to try Shorts but they ran out of beer :(  That's OK though because I think I have a few bottles of their beer down in my 'beer cellar'.
At the end of the evening I said hello to Charlie Papazian. Justin has his Joy of Homebrewing book (I haven't read it yet, but Justin has probably read it five times).

SAVOR was incredibly fun. It was great to sample so many beers and meet so many people. I am already counting down the days until SAVOR 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment